Thursday, May 13, 2010

M&M Cookies

These cookies are good! Nice and soft, with just the right amount of sweetness. Not that I didn't think they would be, but I've had my fair share of bad M&M cookies - you know the type, they show up every Christmas and would in a pinch make perfect hockey pucks. I personally don't like M&M cookie recipes that call for a cup or more of shortening, so when I saw this recipe and remembered my leftover bag of M&M's from my baby shower, I knew I needed to try them. The addition of pecans to this recipe was really nice, though any sort of nut would work. The goal is to freeze these cookies for a quick snack once the baby arrives, though I'm not going to hold my breath that half of the batch doesn't make it to the freezer! Especially considering I've already eaten four, but really that's only two for me and two for the baby!


M&M Cookies


2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. butter, softened
3/4 c. packed light brown sugar
1/2 c. granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 1/3 c. M&M's, divided
1 c. chopped pecans


1. Heat oven to 350.

2. Stir together flour, baking soda and salt; set aside. Beat butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar and vanilla in a large bowl until well blended. Add eggs; beat well.

3. Gradually add flour mixture, beating until well blended. Stir in 3/4 c. M&M's and all the nuts.

4. Drop by rounded teaspoons onto cookie sheet. Press 5-6 of remaining M&M's on each cookie before baking. Bake 9-11 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool slightly, remove from cookie sheet to wire rack; cool completely.

Yield: 3 dozen cookies (depending on cookie size)

Source: Beantown Baker (via Delish via The Cookie Bible)

My thoughts: Initially the batter is pretty dry, but don't worry - when you add the eggs it makes it easier to mix. Adding 5-6 additional M&M's to the top of the cookies seemed like a lot to me, but the cookies spread out some, so it's really not a lot and you could probably add even more if you have them. I didn't quite have the 1 1/3 c. of M&M's called for, so they're a little skimpy - but still delicious! My cookies baked for closer to 13 minutes, again all ovens are different so just watch them - you could be under or over the estimated time.

3 comments:

Sharon said...

Those are really pretty!!!

jms said...

looks YUMMY! and the m&m's look so good together :)

Jen said...

Yours are so pretty! I completely agree about some M&M cookies really being not good.