Monday, July 2, 2007

Platinum Chef Challenge - Round 2

Cara, at Cara's Cravings, started this great idea called the Platinum Chef Challenge. Whoever is hosting the challenge picks five ingredients and people submit two dishes using a combination of these ingredients (for the exact rules see Cara's blog). For Round 2 the ingredients were: blueberries, corn, any citrus, any cheese and any hot pepper. I enjoyed playing around with ideas and trying to come up with something delicious.

For my first entry I decided to make a bbq style pizza, using three of the key ingredients - corn, hot pepper & cheese. Essentially I just made up this recipe, adding what I thought sounded good and trying to use some ingredients I already had. Which also means, I didn't really measure anything out either. You can see from the picture, pre-cheese, how much of everything I added. You could definitely play around with this recipe to suit it to your own tastes.


BBQ Style Pizza

1/2 c. barbecue sauce
cilantro, chopped
garlic chives, chopped
approx. 1/4 c. white corn
smoked turkey, chopped
1 jalapeno, seeds removed and chopped
Monterey Jack cheese
Cheddar cheese
cumin
onion powder
paprika
Homemade or pre-made pizza crust

1. I used a regular Boboli prepared crust and sprinkled cumin, onion powder and paprika on the crust. Top with 1/2 c. barbecue sauce, chopped cilantro and chives, corn, jalapeno, turkey and cheese.

2. Bake following instructions -or until done. Let pizza rest, slice & enjoy.

What I did: The addition of the spices gave the sauce a much stronger & hotter taste. The white corn did bring out some of the sweetness of the barbecue sauce, which added a nice depth of flavor. I used canned white corn and Montgomery Inn barbecue sauce, but again you could use fresh or yellow corn and your favorite sauce. The smoked turkey was leftover from the last time the husband smoked a turkey - any meat would work if you don't have access to a smoker. The husband suggested cooking the corn the next time, which I think would be a good idea. If you used some onions, I'd throw them in to saute with the corn. Lastly, I added just a little bit of each of the cheeses. I didn't want this to be a cheesy pizza and overshadow the rest of the ingredients.

No comments: