Friday, August 10, 2007

A Top 5 Cookie.

Every time I go to the library I come home with a stack of cooking related books. This might seem strange to some, considering I already own a pretty substantial cook book collection; but I love to look at cook books! The library is a great resource for checking out new & different cuisines, techniques and just looking at the wonderful pictures. Sitting in a comfy chair with a cup of coffee and a stack of cook books is one of my favorite things to do!

Many of the recipes in the Cooking Light book I picked up, I'd seen before. But it's nice to have all of their most successful recipes located in one spot & not have to search around for them online or in the stack of magazines I have. Looking for ways to use up the large container of plain yogurt sitting in the fridge, I came across a recipe for cocoa fudge cookies. I love when recipes include everything I already have and seem really simple to make! I also wanted to be able to freeze these cookies to enjoy later and they seem suited for that.

These are one of the easiest & fastest cookies recipes I've ever made! Plus these cookies are healthy, how many times can you say that about a cookie! I'm also going to be bold & declare these cookies in my top 5 cookie recipes of all time, here's why:
  1. If you've ever had a craving for cookies, but didn't want to go through the trouble of making them - this recipe is for you.
  2. If you love eating raw cookie dough - this recipe is for you.
  3. If you abstain from eating raw cookie dough for fear of salmonella , this recipe is for you because there are no eggs included.
  4. If you love chewy, rich chocolaty, melt-in your mouth, deliciousness - this recipe is for you.
  5. The husband said they tasted like a brownie and who doesn't love brownies?

Cocoa Fudge Cookies
1 c. All-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. Baking Powder
1/8 tsp. Salt
5 Tbs. Butter
7 Tbs. Unsweetened Cocoa
2/3 c. Granulated sugar
1/3 c. Packed brown sugar
1/3 c. Low-fat yogurt, plain
1 tsp. Vanilla extract
Cooking spray

1. Preheat oven to 350

2. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, soda, and salt; set aside. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat; stir in cocoa and sugars. Stir in yogurt and vanilla. Add flour mixture, stirring until moist. Drop by level tablespoons two inches apart onto baking sheets coated with cooking spray.

3. Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes or until almost set. Cool on pans 2-3 minutes or until firm. Remove cookies from pans; cool on wire racks.


Yield: 2 dozen (serving size: 1 cookie)
Recipe obtained from: All New Complete Cooking Light Cookbook.

Nutritional information: calories 78 (31% from fat); fat 2.7 g. (sat. 1.6 g., mono 0.8 g., poly 0.1 g); protein 1 g.; carbohydrates 13.4 g.; fiber 0.5g.; cholesterol 7 mg.; iron 0.5 mg.; sodium 54 mg.; calcium 12 mg.

What I did: I followed the recipe exactly as printed, except for the cooking times. My cookies were set after 8 minutes and I moved them to the wire rack after 2 minutes, but the end results weren't as crispy as I think they should be. Next time I'll let them cook the full 10 minutes, rest for 3 minutes and then move to the wire rack. I used a cookie scoop to mold the cookies, and ended up with 21 cookies instead of 24.

No comments: