Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Berry Oatmeal Muffins.

I found this recipe in a magazine at the Grandparent's cabin while on vacation a few weeks ago and thought it not only sounded good, but was fairly healthy too. When thinking of what to take a friend who just had a beautiful little baby girl exactly one week ago, I thought these muffins would be a good idea. I'm thinking she's not going to have the time, or energy, to make breakfast and muffins are an easy and delicious grab and go breakfast. I told the husband I think these are my new go-to blueberry muffin recipe. I hope my friend and her husband enjoy the muffins and I can't wait to deliver them and visit with the new family!


Berry Oatmal Muffins

1 1/2 Tbs. + 1 c. old-fashioned or quick-cooking oats, divided
1 1/2 Tbs. + 1/2 c. packed brown sugar, divided
1 c. fresh or frozen blueberries
1 Tbs. + 1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour, divided
1 Tbs. baking powder
1/4 - 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon, to taste
1 c. fat-free raspberry yogurt
4 Tbs. melted butter
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 400. Coat a muffin pan with cooking spray or line it with paper baking cups.

2. Combine 1 1/2 Tbs. oats and 1 1/2 Tbs. sugar in a small bowl and set aside. In another small bowl, gently toss blueberries with 1 Tbs. flour and set aside.

3. In a large bowl, combine remaining oats, sugar, flour, baking powder, an cinnamon. In a medium bowl, combine yogurt, butter, egg, and vanilla extract. Gently stir yogurt mixture into flour mixture until dry ingredients are moistened, but batter is still lumpy. Gently fold in blueberries.

4. Fill muffin cups almost to the top. Sprinkle reserved oats and brown sugar over muffins. Bake 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve muffins warm, or if they are cool, slice in half and toast.

Yield: 12 muffins

Nutritional information: 186 calories, 4g. protein, 31g. carbohydrates, 5g. fat, 3g. saturated fat, 29mg. choesterol, 2g. fiber, 62mg. sodium.

Recipe obtained from: Diane - The Curves Magazine (unknown publication date/issue)

My thoughts: I ended up getting 14 muffins out of this recipe, though I could have probably filled a few of the cups a little fuller. You could make these even healthier by using whole wheat flour instead of the all-purpose flour. Any berry would work in place of the blueberries.

1 comment:

That Girl said...

oatmeal muffins! Yum!