Monday, May 28, 2007

Ho-hum BBQ

I don't like to spend hours in the kitchen only to have a meal turn out "ok." In fact, it generally makes me mad - especially at whoever came up with the recipe - Rachel Ray you now have strike one.

Let us focus on what tasted good.....

Root Beer BBQ Beans
5 slices bacon, diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 (36 oz.) can baked beans, preferably Bush's
1 c. root beer (regular - not diet)
2 Tbs. dark molasses
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1/4 tsp. garlic salt
1/4 tsp. lemon pepper
2-3 whole ribs celery

1. Cook the bacon with the onions in a medium saucepan until the bacon is brown and crisp, and the onions have become transparent and are just starting to brown.
2. Add all the remaining ingredients.
3. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; then reduce the heat and simmer, stirring often, until the mixture is slightly thickened, about 20 minutes. Remove the celery and serve the beans hot.

Yield: 4-6 servings

Comments: First I should state I love bacon, love it. I exercised my will power and only cooked the five slices called for and only had one bite in the process. That was some will power I exercised. I don't like onions, so that was out. I did however, add some dried onions and only two ribs of celery.


Recipe obtained from Chow -
www.chow.com

Barbecued Chicken Thighs
1/2 c. ketchup
1/2 c. canola oil
1/2 c. maple syrup
1/4 c. vinegar
2 Tbs. yellow mustard

Whisk ingredients together.

Yield: not sure, maybe 2 c.

Comments: This recipe originally called for baking the chicken, but we grilled the thighs instead. I marinated the chicken for about an hour or so and brushed the chicken while grilling. The husband said he didn't like dark meat, but said this was good - whatever that means. While I normally don't like dark meat either, it looks funny to me, I think grilling might be the way to go - it was very moist and the sauce was simple to make and tasted great.

Recipe obtained from The Fresh Market -
www.thefreshmarket.com/recipes/recipes_details_review.aspx?RecipeID=116

And for where it went all wrong...or at least didn't taste that great.

Double corn cornbread muffins - not sure what it was about these, I thought they tasted oily and the husband decided the additional corn was to much for him.

Rachel Ray received her first strike with me for her herb fritters recipe. In theory I believed
these fritters would be delicious and thus a great way to use up my out of control herb garden. Luck wasn't on my side for this one though. First they stunk when cooked and there was something about them that creeped me out, I only ate two bites. The husband eventually decided he didn't like them either. The dipping sauce however, was good (mayonnaise, hot sauce, lemon zest, lemon juice).

No comments: