Thursday, July 19, 2007

Have berries, will bake.

I woke up early this morning to let Carson out and we were greeted with a dark, dreary, rainy Thursday. The kind of nasty morning that makes you want to crawl back into bed with a hot cup of coffee and a warm muffin. I had a pint of blackberries that were dying to be eaten, so I decided to make blackberry muffins. Knowing I had a very limited amount of flour and having no desire to leave the house for any ingredients, I needed to find a recipe making use of what I had. I found a few that looked delicious, but needed sour cream or something else I didn't have - I did save those for making later. Eventually I found a recipe on Recipe Zaar using exactly what I had on hand and a mere 25 minutes later I had wonderfully warm and delicious blackberry muffins!

These muffins use wheat flour and brown sugar, so they're not as sweet as a lot of muffins you get - but it's sort of what I was looking for this morning. I made up for my piece of buffalo chicken pizza I ate first thing this morning, with a muffin, some fruit and yogurt. I might have to go back for another muffin though........


Blackberry Muffins
1/2 c. milk
3/4 c. vegetable oil
1 egg, beaten
2/3 c. brown sugar
1 c. white flour
1 c. whole wheat flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1 c. frozen blackberries


1. Heat oven to 350.

2. Mix all dry ingredients together. Toss blackberries into dry mixture, coating berries.

3. Mix together wet ingredients.

4. Pour wet ingredients into dry mixture & mix until just moist.

5. Spoon batter into ungreased muffin pan.

6. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until done.


Yield: 12 muffins
Recipe obtained from: Recipe Zaar


What I did: I used fresh, not frozen, blackberries, which worked fine. Next time I might chop them in half, just to have some more berries floating around in the muffins. Some walnuts would be a great addition too, maybe some lemon zest too.

No comments: