Tuesday, July 17, 2007

An Old Favorite

Zucchini is one of my favorite vegetables, though I've rarely met a vegetable I didn't like! So I was happy when someone at the husband's office gave him some zucchini, tis the season for over production and sharing amongst friends & neighbors! I planted one zucchini in our garden, but considering my very late planting and the oppressive heat & drought we've been experiencing, I'll be lucky to harvest anything before Labor Day. Zucchini is a great addition to just about any dish, but one of my favorites is zucchini & squash with a ton of garlic! This dish goes very well with potatoes, which I roasted with herbs from the garden and grilled Italian chicken. Tonight's dinner is one of my favorites, it's a classic go to meal that can easily be altered to suit your taste buds.


Roasted Potatoes
6 red skinned potatoes, quartered
Several sprigs of fresh tarragon, rosemary, marjoram
Sea salt & pepper, to taste
Extra virgin olive oil, drizzled to coat

1. Mix all ingredients in oven safe dish, roast at 400, stirring occasionally for about an hour or until done.



Fried Zucchini & Squash
3 small squash, sliced
1 md. zucchini, sliced
5 cloves garlic, chopped
Sea salt & pepper, to taste
Several springs of fresh tarragon & rosemary

1. Saute garlic in extra virgin olive oil in large skillet over medium heat

2. Add squash, zucchini, herbs, sea salt and pepper. Make sure vegetables are coated with olive oil.

3. Cook over medium heat until vegetables have reached desired tenderness. I like mine fairly crispy, very garlicky and salty.



Italian Grilled Chicken
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/2 packet Good Seasonings Italian dressing
Italian dressing
Various dry herbs

1. Whisk together, in a small bowl, dry Italian dressing, as much Italian dressing as needed for marinating chicken and whatever dried herbs your heart desires (I used: dried onion, onion powder, pepper, lemon pepper seasoning, dill, basil, Italian seasoning & chicken seasoning).

2. Combine chicken and marinade in sealed plastic bag and refrigerate, turning every so often, for however long you have. Mine marinated for about an hour or so.

3. Grill chicken anywhere from 15-20 minutes, or until cooked through.

No comments: