Thursday, September 6, 2007

Faking It.

Lesson #1 - You can always add more, but you can never take out.

This recipe was supposed to be part of a soup I sort of just threw together. Of course sometimes when one throws stuff together, it doesn't come out well and this soup was an example of one of those times. It should have been delicious and it was until I added one too many jalapenos without thinking or tasting. I'm talking four-five worth - stupid I know. I de-seeded them so I wasn't anticipating them being that hot, um yeah, they were.

In addition to the the massive amount of jalapenos, the soup included: black beans, pinto beans, tomatoes, radish, tomato juice, s&p, cilantro, basil, chicken & vegetable broth, avocado & the Chipotle rice - I think that's it. Really I just added a whole bunch of stuff I thought would be good in a soup and blended it all up in the food processor. Oh and in case you're wondering we sort of salvaged the soup, we just took two ladle's full and added more broth - vegetable because it was all I had left. It was still pretty spicy, but at least eatable and it really was pretty good.

Now even though the jalapenos took center stage, the star of the soup was the knock-off Chipotle rice! Yeah, this stuff was good. It wasn't the exact consistency of the actual restaurant's, but I was impatient, hungry and certainly frustrated by the time it was finished. If you think Chipotle's rice is somewhat crack-like, I urge you to try this recipe out.

As a PSA, I'll advise you to steer clear of the nutritional content link on the Chipotle Fan website, if you'd like to remain in the dark about what a trip to Chipotle will cost you! You've been warned.

Chipotle's Basmati Rice
1 tsp. Vegetable oil or butter
2 tsp. Fresh cilantro
2/3 c. White basmati rice
1 c. Water
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 Lime


1. In a 2-quart heavy saucepan, heat oil or butter over low heat, stirring occasionally until melted. Add rice and lime juice, stir for 1 minute. Add water and salt, bring to a full rolling boil. At boiling, cover, turn down to simmer over low heat until rice is tender and the water is absorbed, about 25 minutes. Fluff rice with a fork.


Yield: 2-3 servings
Recipe obtained from: Chipotle Fan


What I did: You'll notice the recipe calls for cilantro, yet it's not added in the instructions. When I made this, I didn't even add the cilantro - since the rice was a base for soup. But I think I'll add it right at the end next time. Other than the cilantro, I followed the recipe exactly and was rewarded with delicious "almost" like Chipotle style rice.

No comments: