Sunday, July 8, 2007

Quick & Easy Turkey Tenderloin

In a continued effort to try and use up all the food we have in our house, I pulled out some frozen turkey tenderloin's for dinner. Wanting to also use up the grilled corn, cilantro and tomatoes, the path of the meal seemed to be heading down the ol' Southwestern highway. The turkey tenderloin was extremely simple to prepare, which was a plus since we spent most of today looking for a puppy. Along with the tenderloin, I threw together some zesty rice & beans and a few tortilla chips and our meal was served. This meal was simple & quick, delicious and pretty healthy - ole!


Southwestern Stuffed Turkey Tenderloin

approx. 3/4 -1 lb. turkey tenderloin (two tenderloins in package, weighing close to 2 lbs. total - I only used one)
1 tomato, chopped
1 jalapeno, chopped
handful fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 lime, juiced
salt to taste

Butterfly tenderloin. Combine tomato, jalapeno, cilantro, lime juice and salt in bowl. Stuff tenderloin with mixture. Roll up and secure with string. Grill for 30 minutes, or until done.

*This recipe was originally for a 3 pound pork tenderloin, with a grilling time of 25 minutes.

Recipe obtained from: Quick & Easy Grilling: Over 100 Fast & Furious Timesaving Recipes.




Zesty Rice & Beans with Corn

1 can rice & beans
1 tomato, chopped
1 jalapeno, chopped
approx. 1/2 c. corn
handful fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 lime, juiced
kosher salt
cumin

Combine ingredients and refrigerate until ready to serve.

What I did: I used Eden Organics Caribbean black beans & rice. You could add or delete any of the ingredients, I just threw together what sounded good at the time. This would be good heated as well and think I might do that with the leftovers. Would also make a good base or filling for taco's or anything like that.

While the husband always comments on whatever I've made, his comments are generally pretty basic - as in "it's good" or "I don't like it," things like that. Which is what made me think this exchange was the husband kidding. Or a result of watching to much Top Chef, as he claims.

tH: Wow, that's some good flavor, it's like an explosion in my mouth!
me: Are you for real?
tH: Yeah.

One good thing about hosting parties is the leftover beer people leave behind! One of the leftovers was Leinenkugel Summer Shandy, which I'd never seen before. This is a Weiss beer with lemonade flavoring, and probably something I'd never buy on my own - the husband doesn't think it's beer if it has fruit in it. He tried one last night and said it was ok, but didn't think it tasted like beer. I agree, it doesn't really taste like beer, more like fermented lemonade, though with each sip it sort of changed in flavor and my impression of the beer changed as well. It's not a bad beer, especially since it was free, but not something I think I'd buy again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Se você quiser linkar meu blog no seu eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. (If you speak English can see the version in English of the Camiseta Personalizada. If he will be possible add my blog in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).