Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Chocolate Two-Times.

Procrastination is my middle name. Why study, when I can make cookies - which is why studying from home is a bad idea sometimes. I returned some books from the library this morning and left with an arm-load of cookbooks, as if I need anymore. I found this cookie recipe in what appears to be my new favorite cookbook Kitchen for Kids by Jennifer Low. The
recipes are easy to make and the portions are just right for the husband & I. I'm thinking this book will make it onto my Christmas list this year.

Chocolate Two-Times

1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 c. packed brown sugar
2 Tbs. white sugar
1/8 tsp. baking soda
sprinkle of salt
4 squares semi-sweet chocolate (1 oz. each)
2 Tbs. unsalted butter
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 large egg
1/4 c. chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350.

2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

3. In a small bowl, mix the flour, brown and white sugars, baking soda and salt. Set aside.

4. Melt the squares of chocolate and butter in a medium sized bowl at 50% power in the microwave (about 3 1/2 minutes, stirring halfway).

5. Stir in the vanilla into the melted chocolate. Gradually stir in the flour mixture. Add the egg and mix well. Stir in the chocolate chips.

6. Use a lightly greased tablespoon to scoop the dough and drop in mounds on the lined baking sheet. Make about 12 mounds, 2 inches apart.

7. Bake about 14 minutes, or until the edges are firm but the middle is still a little soft. Cool until lukewarm before removing from baking sheet.

Yield: 12 cookies

Recipe obtained from: Kitchen for Kids: 100 Amazing Recipes Your Children Can Really Make by Jennifer Low.

My thoughts: If your baking sheets are in good condition, you don't need the parchment paper. I used white chocolate chips, because they were already opened. Any kind of chip would be delicious. I used my melon ball scoop and got 14 cookies, I probably could have gotten 16 if I hadn't eaten the cookie dough.

P.S. You will definitely need a large glass of milk to go along with these cookies. They also remind me a lot of another easy brownie-like cookie I made awhile back, cocoa fudge cookie's.

1 comment:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Hello... that looks awesome! I'm now collecting cookie recipes for the holidays!